Thursday, September 24, 2009

...Ehhh, blasted whippersnappers



So I was in the midst of my TAing today when the professor is giving a lecture about isometric, axonometric, and oblique projection drawings, when she posed the question as to why the angles mainly used in such drawings were 30, 45, and 60. The adjunct professor there said it was an obvious answer - one student replied, "...Because that's how our triangles are like?" The adjunct prof replied, "Yes, but there are adjustable triangles..." To which this one student in front of me replied, "Man, I can't afford those, I'm from Hialeah."

Pause.

Word? So not only did we just put down an entire city and culture, but we damn near opened our mouth to say a smart remark. There was some scattered laughter to his remark from his group. Then I was about to say something when I realized - "OH SHI-" I would've said something very similar back in my freshman year. Back as a freshie I was a loudmouth, I ALWAYS had something to say to my Professor. Those in my studio will know this. I could never just accept what they had to say, I always had to have a retort, glib remark, or witty comeback. So how could I possibly call this one kid out for acting exactly how I would've back in the day? I mean, he'll learn his lesson eventually - that he should keep his trap shut - I mean, it took me a while, and even then, depending on who the Professor is, I'd still be able to get a word in edgewise - but there's a time and place for everything, I came to realize. I felt like TJ in that one episode of Recess where he was principal for a day - saw himself in someone else for a moment and realized how times had changed. I realized that five years had gone by. Everyone came out different from college as to how they started. So I decided against telling him to keep his trap shut. Let him have his fun for now - eventually, he'll mature like all of us did in our 'higher education' - and change by himself. We're only young and upstart once.

...although, if he tries to have some witty remark on me, he'll get his comeuppance. I'm not even joking. I'll style on him in front of his peers. He might have to call the:




But in any case - one last note. There's one phenomenon that never ceases to amaze me - but I've heard it a few times in the past few months (albeit, not directed at me, of course) - and it's women who love to say that, "Guys ain't shit" or "There's no good men left out there." Often it is because for some reason or another (not removing the blame from the male side though, if it truly was our fault) - we did some shit to you that you didn't like, so on and so forth, and now she's out tellin her girls or anyone who will listen that, well, 'guys ain't shit.' Her theorem is that, due to the unscrupulous behavior of one dude, that the entire contingent of men on this Earth must therefore also be the same. Of course, though, maybe it wasn't just one guy in her particular case, but maybe two, three, four, et cetera; that have done her wrong. So automatically, once she has enough, it's the whole 'no good men left' rant. Pause for a second though, woman. Did you ever think that maybe...it's you? Like what is it about you...that maybe attracts men who ain't shit? Or maybe you're just attracted to questionable characters? I mean, I'm not going to be hypocritical - I myself have done some messed up shit in my lifetime. I have been called all sorts of 'adjectives,' 'expletives,' and 'nouns.' I have caused a few of the opposite sex to say what I'm now trying to discourage women from saying. So I'm not trying to say that occasionally (def not all the time - sometimes the female acts up) we men aren't to blame for our antics. But chill. So you just got styled on - move on. And if it keeps happening to you - if you fall into that same situation over and over again - there comes a certain point where you have to realize that it is indeed something about you. When you fry something and you burn it - it doesn't take 10 burned meal attempts for you to keep blaming the stove - "Oh the stove gets too hot, to hell with cooking, I'm getting chinese." Noooo. You just can't cook.

...On the flip side, have you ever heard any self-respecting (emphasis on that last word - there's a lot of male bitch-azz-ery nowadays) guy state, "Oh that bish styled on me, so I'm giving up on women." Maaaaaaan, if I ran into a male like that, that's two quick fisticuffs to the left and right face to knock some sense into him. Gotta be kidding me.



(I'm going to end on the note that I have done the above. I just wanted the chair. She misread me all on her own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment